Susan worked with the State Highway Administration and the County Commissioners to revive improvement plans for Routes 32 and 26 that had stalled under their predecessors. Benefits of this new state-county partnership have been visible for years. For example, the long-closed Korner Karry-Out building at the intersection of Route 32 and Liberty Road was demolished to make way for traffic-flow improvements. Plans to widen Route 32 through Carroll and Howard counties also advanced.
Transportation projects complete
Traffic light at Progress Way/Post Office
- Traffic light at the intersection of Piney Ridge Parkway/Mac Beth Way and Route 32 in addition to widening Route 32 from Route 26 south to MacBeth Way/Piney Ridge Parkway
- Worked with the Town of Sykesville to construct the Route 32/851 intersection, which serves as the gateway to the Warfield Commerce and Cultural Center.
- Worked with State Highway to improve the Klee Mill Road/Route 26 intersection
- Worked with State Highway to install sidewalks along dangerous stretches of Route 32
- Improved intersection at Deer Park Road/Route 32
- Advocated for construction of the Hampstead Bypass
- Supported improvements to Md 140 in Westminster and Finksburg
- Supported Relocation of High Street in New Windsor
- Supported Taneytown streetscape project
Transportation improvements on the horizon
- Widening of MD 32 from MD 26 south to the Carroll County line- the most heavily traveled two-lane highway in the state.
- MD 97 ( Md 140 Underpass tnorth to Bachmans Valley Road) widen roadway from 3 to 5 lanes
- Md 140 Reconstruction project ( Sullivan Road to Market Street) widen roadway from 6 to 8 lanes
- MD 30 - Main Street in Hampstead improvements
- MD 31- New Windsor Main Street/High Street Revitalization
- Secured funding for planning of MD 851- Sykesville Main Street/Springfield Avenue coordinated with the replacement of water and sewer lines in the project area.
- MD 30 - Manchester Congestion Relief
- MD 482 at Gorsuch Road safety improvements
Worked to accelerate state projects for the widening of Route 70 between Route 29 and Marriottsville Road
- Sponsored a Constitutional Amendment to protect the State Transportation Trust Fund to ensure that it be used for transportation purposes only.
- Fought to restore the Highway User Revenues in the budget for our County & Towns.
- Supported public/private partnerships for building roads.
- Supported raising the financial penalties for violators of our laws to go toward the Transportation Trust Fund.
- Sponsored legislation to dedicate revenues from motorists ( gas tax, vehicle registration fees and vehicle titling tax) to be used for building and maintaining highways - not mass transportation.
- Voted against the "gas Tax" which the Governor has used to fund billion dollar mass transportation projects in Baltimore City and Montgomery County.